Friday, January 16, 2009

I smell drama



What chemical reaction suddenly caused my candle to turn Roman and start hosing the place with wax and sparks?  It was close to the bottom so I suppose it found the end of the wick, but where does the plastic effect come in?  Candles are way up there on the list for fire starting so I'm sure this is completely normal for some demon spawn variety candles, but I've never seen the likes of one of these before. Have you? 


16 comments:

Gene Sullivan said...

Call a priest!

dive said...

So al Qaeda sells candles to America now!

Yikes, Shan! That is scary.
And never EVER throw water on burning fat (which is what a candle is, after all) … but then you know that now.

It's great to hear your voice at last.

Sun-Kissed Savages said...

Your kid...holding his nose!! AHAA. So, no throwing water on demon-possessed candles. Gotcha.

I'm glad you guys survived. The pan was a stroke of genius.

savannah said...

yikes, yikes, yikes!!! crisis avoided, everyone is safe, lesson learned...why am i just NOW breathing???? xoxoxo

(ditto what dive said about your voice!)

Fifi said...

You are funeeee girl! But that was hectic ...... that's never happened to me and I'm the queen of candles!

Mrs Smiley Joe said...

First of all, SCARY! Secondly, my T-bird keeps asking to watch the candle video...riveting stuff you have here!

Trish said...

Wow! That candle lava looked like the creature from the black lagoon! Your guy is a HERO!

TRS said...

Whew.

You're funny.

Sara said...

i watched just to hear your sweet voice. your guy is cute holding his nose. are you sure it wasn't a plastic look alike candle??? you know the ones you find at the furniture stores?
did it give off any wonderful scents as it was billowing smoke?

Maria said...

I had to laugh at your ever-so-polite "good bye" at the end of it all....

Katie said...

Wow - what a freaky candle story! I'm so glad you told us about it in person as that really added to the drama. I really hope you remember where you got that evil candle so you can march right on back to the store and tell them that they aren't selling candles, they're selling potential house-burners-downers (or something). Thanks for the tip on the pan too - if I ever have a fire like that I'll think of you and immediately go for the smothering pan!

Mom Keena said...

Okay, so a few weeks ago, I was in the kitchen. I heard some kind of loud pop, and followed the sound to my bedroom. Earlier I lit a candle on a wall shelf. It was in a heavy-duty-votive-candle-holder. I should say, it HAD been in said holder. The pop I heard was the glass holder exploding into two separate pieces, and the flame on the candle was shooting a good 9" up, a mere three inches from the wall. I ran to the kitchen to get an oven mitt so I could take the flaming candle off the wall shelf. I smothered the flame as well. Man, what is up with these psycho candles?

Shan said...

Kim,

I was hoping you'd ring in on this as I remembered you mentioning something to do with a candle on facebook or somewhere, but I couldn't quite recall. This candle was from Hannahs and it was a little bit gellish in consistency. I don't think I want one like that again as much as I enjoyed it's smell and longevity. It must have had some funky ingredients in there to cause it to go wildfire on me. Yikes and double yikes! Candles and old houses are a scary combo sometimes. :~}

Bekah said...

Yikes, Yikes, Yikes! But I love my glass Yankee Candles! I mean LOVE them! I'll just add this to my "things that happen to other people and won't happen to me" list!
Glad you guys are OK and that there was no house fire!

dean r said...

no no no never throw water. smother smuther brother!!! great video btw tech genius

Shelley said...

Priceless, and told only as you could tell it! Loved hearing your voice--'cept it made me miss you TONS MORE than I already do!!