Thursday, January 29, 2009

Icy times




Greetings blogland! I am happy to be able to check in with you today as half of our little town is totally without power! Our house went without for only one night and then it miraculously came back on and seems to be doing fine even though the whole electrical unit has been ripped off the side of the house!!! What an ice storm we've had!

I went by myself for an overnight trip to Oklahoma City (three hours Southwest) on Sunday because I wanted to attend a special cousin's funeral service scheduled for Monday morning. The ice started there on Monday but several of us were able to get to the church in a town outside of OKC and then over to the graveside service and back in the freezing rain. By the time we made it back to my mom's house on the North side of the city, the streets had become way too dangerous to go any further. Though two of my relatives from the panhandle decided they HAD to get back home, my cousin Kris (who had travelled 4 hours from Dallas, Texas) and I couldn't face the increasing ice. So, there we stayed. And stayed some more until Wednesday when the sun peeked out to melt some of the highways enough to brave our solo trips in opposite directions.  

In the meantime my boys were fending for themselves and suffering a 24 hour power outage in a state just above and to the right of me. Needless to say, I felt more than a little selfish having a constant gourmet snack fests and rollicking game times with my parents and cousin, who we rarely get to see but thoroughly enjoy.

After Krissy decided she'd better try to get back to the helm of her business, and my parents to theirs, I wandered around the house in full dorkdom trying to get up the nerve to leave myself.  If you dare to watch this riveting video you will realize I'm suffering a touch of the cabin fever.  That's the excuse I'm sticking with anyway...

When I realized I was just stalling for time, I too decided to head out and try the roads.  They were totally fine for more than half the trip so I only had to kick the bravery in toward the end of the last turnpike.  Ahh, but there's no place like home.  Even if home looks like a crystalized war zone.  Stay warm everyone!!

12 comments:

savannah said...

OHMYGAWD!!!!

so glad you're safe and so's the family, sugar! that storm was deadly! xoxo

Katie said...

Shan glad to know that you made it home ok and that you have power. I know how horrible icy conditions can be when driving. Well, not lately; it's supposed to be near 70 here next week. (Sorry.)

I LOVED the "tour of mom & dad's house" video you did! And the bathroom is about the size of my entire apartment. I WANT THAT BATHROOM! I love the skylight and the big tub and the classy lighting above the sinks. Fun to see you in the mirrors too. Thanks so much for sharing that video with us!

dive said...

Brr!
I'm glad you got home safe and sound, Shan. That weather looks and sounds awful!

What a wonderful tour guide you make. I don't know about Katie's apartment but that bathroom is as big as my entire house! Sheesh! Your parents could fit my whole village in their home.

More Shan-narrated videos, please!

Bekah said...

I LOVE IT! Thanks for the post and glad you made it back to Siloam safely!

Missy said...

You crack me up, girl! Only you could do an entertaining tour video. ;-)

I'm glad you made it home safely though and that you have power back.

Koi said...

Ugh! I absolutely detest cold. So I can not understand for the life of me why states that get any form of weather are even populated. I'm complaining if it get's down to the 60's here, I can't imagine having ice storms to deal with. Glad you made it home safe and sound.

Maria said...

Driving in this crap is horrendous, but by February, we are all pros, aren't we?

Scout said...

Yeah, that was one heck of a storm. I never lost power—I'm sorry you did. But our schools haven't been in session since last Monday.

Fifi said...

You are hilarious girl! I loved the tour! Lovely home your mom has!

Anonymous said...

Funny story...
Pandora.com was playing Men At Work's Who Can It Be Now? on another tab and I thought the song was from your video tour! "very clever of her", I thought--"befitting background music", I said...
Duh!
Nice bathroom, btw. Love the multiple candlesticks!

MmeBenaut said...

Wow Shan. That tour was fantastic and made even more fantastic because I could hear your voice and see you in the mirror too! You sound just so cheerful even though you were snowed in and just like I thought you would sound. What a treat! Could you please take more videos in future and post them? I can't get over technology these days. I know that my camera takes videos; perhaps I could do something similar and put it in an email - don't want my stalker seeing things any more - not sure so some experimentation is obviously called for.
The scenery outside was spectacular. Fancy growing up in such a beautiful place! I love the bathroom too - it's gorgeous!
Very glad you got home safely - I can't believe all of that ice! We had a blackout last night too so no aircon all night - was ghastly in the heat we're having.
The temp has dropped three degrees in the last hour though so it looks like our heatwave might be reaching an end. Hooray!

AfricaBleu said...

Har, har, har!! I can't stop laughing at the blase video--come ON, Shan--where's a song at least? Couldn't you burst into a verse or two of HAIR?

Terrific. That video was not amazing--it was simply terrific. Kheekhee.

I do love your paros' house. Airy, light, lovely. Kind of like you.