Wednesday, August 27, 2008

WFMW: Always Look Your Sharp(i)est!


(Here again, I thought I'd join in on the handy tip dispensing that goes on over 
at Rocks in My Dryer. My tips aren't necessarily conventional but they do "work-for-me" on Wednesdays and sometimes even on Thursdays too, if I'm lucky.) 


Once when I worked at a dental college in Oklahoma City, I was sitting in the small enclosed front office of our building chatting with the lady working the desk there, when a largish fairly well dressed  woman in her mid-sixties walked in.  As she made her way up to the information desk, my co-worker asked if we could help her. Exasperated, she set her purse on the counter and told us what clinic she needed to find and we, in turn, directed her to the elevator. As she gathered herself up again she said "Well, Ok. You see,  I'm running a little late because I couldn't find my lipstick anywhere and I finally just had to use a magic marker!  

Well, on she went to her appointment, but the lady at the desk and I had a good laugh over that one.  I wasn't sure what natural progression of thought would take one from beauty product to office utensil used as a beauty product.  Until this morning....

THIS morning I completely understood.  I was getting ready and lo and behold  my grays had reached alarming levels in the part of my hair overnight!  This was no time to crack open the Nice-n-Easy box sitting in my cabinet! I didn't have an extra hour to get ready!  I finally just had to use a magic marker! 

So that's what I did.  I pulled out a permanent brown shade that I thought would go best with the copper penny color of my hair, and just went for it.  It worked for me!
And who knows, it might still be there tomorrow  (as I used a permanent Sharpie type marker in case of rain).  It works especially well if your hair is a primary color in the first place.  I don't think I'm quite desperate enough for lip use yet.  Hmm...but that fine tipped black Sharpie might make a snazzy eye liner touch-up for an evening out straight from the office... You did not just hear that from me!   Stay colorful bloggers! 

25 comments:

Marcia Francois said...

That is a GREAT idea because I have very dark brown hair and my greys appear in just one spot about a week before the rest (and my scheduled appointment with the hairdresser)

:)

Marcia from Organising queen

dive said...

Hee hee hee hee hee, Shan.
Would you be so kind as to step over here and scribble some magic marker hairs all over my bald spot?

RoverHaus said...

Wow, this is a first for me.

But see, your markers are those snazzy designer color series.

Mine are the obnoxious bozo the clown colors.

Great idea!

Shan said...

Thanks Marcia! I'll have to come check out your ideas if you are in fact an organising queen. I'm not even in the court on that one.

Ah, the bald spot IS trickier Dive. What we'll need for that is a can of silly string. That comes in colours too.

J or L, Most of my ideas really do suit clowns so maybe I should market to them. ;)

dive said...

Silly string! Yay!
Great idea, Shan!

savannah said...

sugar, i'd end up blowing the entire pen out covering greys on these curls! xoxo

Diane said...

Love that idea I will use this time instead of plucking them.

Mom2fur said...

Oh, my gosh, you're funny--and clever, too!
I clean with bleach cleaner and sometimes get it on my clothes. Can I tell you how many times permanent markers 'saved the day' by covering up little white spots on otherwise perfectly good garments?

Suzanne said...

You so crack me up. Markers=back scratchers. My tip for markers is, the kids think it is great fun to color on my back...and it feels so good. Once again...it is best to opt for the washable ones vs sharpies at least in the summer.

http://suzannegriffin.blogspot.com/2006/12/its-my-party-and-ill-dye-if-i-have-too.html

Thought you would appreciate this past post.

Suzanne said...

Ok, just had to share...sharpies are also great for labeling things like every singe pair of your hubby's socks and all his cups he takes to work and his forehead with a character description like "butt". If you act like a butt you are a butt. This was not one of those times when I used my evil powers for good. Not one of my prouder moments after the fact, but I think someone will think twice before they cross me again.

Shan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shan said...

Dive, I know. I should have gone to creative hair school. I just know I would have graduated with top honors. If you were closer I'd get you fixed up and looking dandy!

Savannah, HaHA! Well then maybe a fingerpaint mouse?

Diane, welcome! Glad to help. The hair plucking route will keep you from needing any color at all-Yikes! :)

Mom2fur,Thank you for the compliment! I DO THAT TO MY CLOTHES TOO! It's great to have permanent markers for that as well, otherwise you have to keep coloring the white spots in. :)

Suzanne,
Leave it to one of your kids to have ideas like mine! Oh, but your own...the butt label? BAH HA! :D

Anonymous said...

CCCCUUULLLLLAAASSSSSSICCCCCC!

Shan said...

Oops, I messed up my own comment on my own blog.

To Savannah I meant to say: Maybe a fingerpaint mousse. No rodents need be involved....this time.

Tally said...

oh no you di-int! That is the awesomest idea you've ever had!!! I love it!!!

Maria said...

Well, now. Who knew?

Audra Krell said...

WOW! I am cracking up, thanks for sharing how brave you were, before and after pics next time- please!

Anonymous said...

I have always wanted to try that! Now I know, it workss. Now I just have to find the right shade of brown.

Cammie said...

That is hilarious! I wonder which marker I should use to match 'dishwater blonde'...hmmmm...

Katie said...

What a brilliant idea! It never occurred to me to try something like that. Maybe you could sell Clairol the idea of a gray cover pen -- you'd make millions!

Anonymous said...

I probably shouldn't laugh, but I'm sooo sending this to my mother! Thank you for sharing!

Missy said...

You are a nut.

This reminds me of when a friend of mine was going out and realized that she had a hole in the sleeve of her black shirt, so she got out a Sharpie and colored black on her arm so it wouldn't show skin through.

Nuts, y'all are nuts.

Scout said...

Well, that's just amazing. hee hee I can see it working for hair, but I'd be afraid to use on it on something like lips or skin. Imagine the toxins in those pens and what they could do once they seep into the human body. Very funny.

dean r said...

can't wait to see y'all... hey I've done that marker thing with furniture. your hair though. ha ha. so practical... later.

Anonymous said...

Good post.